|Phillip Theophrastus Gribbleflotz|
| 1632 series |
POD: May, 1631
|Appearance(s):|| Grantville Gazette VI|
Grantville Gazette VII
Grantville Gazette VIII
Grantville Gazette X
Grantville Gazette XI
Grantville Gazette XVII
Grantville Gazette XIX
Ring of Fire III
|Occupation:||Alchemist and doctor|
|Relatives:||Paracelsus (supposed great grandfather)|
|Created by:||Kerryn Offord|
Phillip Theophrastus Gribbleflotz was a self-proclaimed doctor and alchemist who made a bundle of money by bulk manufacturing "simple" chemistry products for up-timers, using instructions they provided. He embarked on his first enterprise after genuine alchemists refused the job. As viewed by the more professional down-time doctors, he was seen as a charlatan and a money-maker. However, he was in fact a competent technician with the down-time equivalent of a mail-order diploma. Gribbleflotz also claimed that he was a great-grandson of Paracelsus.
He made his first fortune with baking soda, which he renamed Sal Aer Fixus, because he did not want to be seen as making something to be used by cooks. Later, he made aspirin, which he named Sal Vin Betula, and dyed blue on the grounds that blue was the color of serenity. Much to Tom Stone's disgust, Doctor Gribbleflotz's brand outsold the straight-forward and cheaper stuff produced by Stone's pharmaceutical works. Eventually, when his father got distracted by something else, Ron Stone quietly ordered the chemists to start dying their own aspirin blue as well. Sales picked up right away, even though Ron raised the price a bit at the same time.
- The Doctor Gribbleflotz Chronicles, Part 1: Calling Dr. Phil - After finding that downtime alchemists consider the work beneath them, the women of Grantville hire self-proclaimed Doctor Gribbleflotz to make baking soda.
- Dr. Phil's Amazing Lightning Crystal - To get him to make baking powder, Grantvillers give Gribbleflotz some kiddie electric projects, including a student's science fair project to make piezoelectric crystals.
- Dr. Phil's Aeolian Transformers (Kerryn Offord and Rick Boatright) - Grantville's radio group wants crystals to make headphones. Serendipitously, Dr. Gribbleflotz has been making Rochelle salts (which are piezoelectric) from the science fair information he previously received.
- The Dr. Gribbleflotz Chronicles, Part 2: Dr. Phil's Amazing Essence Of Fire Tablets (Kerryn Offord and Rick Boatright) - Experiments lead to camping fuel tablets, which can also be used to prepare explosives.
- Dr. Phil Zinkens A Bundle - Gribbleflotz discovers a method to get zinc from sphalerite.
- The Doctor Gribbleflotz Chronicles, Part 3: Doctor Phil's Distraction - Gribbleflotz is in danger of falling for an investment scam. Various down-timers are claiming they've proved a method of smelting aluminum and need more funds to develop the mine which has already begun low volume production. The up-timer Kubiak family who so humorously manipulate the bombastic Dr. Phil in their four year partnership seek to protect the good doctor from his passions—and come up blank. A happy accident intrudes as Dr. Phil visits Rudolstadt and, through a sudden shove in the back, meets the dour Pastor Kerstenmeir's youngest daughter.
- The Doctor Phil Chronicles: Doctor Phil's Family
- Bootstrapping - Dr. Phil's former seamstress accepts a microloan to make pill boxes from casein.
- Dr. Phil For President